burn cd-rw?

> Does anyone have experience with cd-rw? I'm using cdrecord to burn
> cd's, but I haven't found anyting on cd-rw.

My CD-RW is my only CDROM drive on my i386 Debian Woody 3.0r0 system

1. You need a kernel with ide-scsi built in or as a module. NB From memory, the default install from the Woody CDROM ("default" or "idepci") does not have this. (It does not have sound modules either! Why not?) Either install Woody using the "vanilla" kernel (selecting ide-scsi as one of the modules), or install a different kernel that has the ide-scsi module on your existing system.

2. See "CD_Writing with an ATAPI CDR mini-HOWTO" (Linux Gazette) at http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LG/issue57/stoddart.html and CD-Writing HOWTO at http://tdlp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-2.html

3. Summary of procedure (for my Philips CDRW1610A on Woody):
a. 'dmesg | grep ATAPI' to find your CD drive ( mine was hdc)
b. 'apt-get install cdrecord mkisofs'
c. 'lsmod | grep ide-scsi' to check module is loaded.
(d. 'apt-get install emacs21')
e. 'emacs /etc/lilo.conf', under 'root=' add 'append="hdc=ide-scsi max_scsi_luns=1"',F10 f s (to save file), F10 f e (to exit emacs).
f. 'lilo' to save changes.
g. Re-boot.
h. 'dmesg' to check (lines near end looking something like 'Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id0, lun0, sr0:scsi3-mmc drive:40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray').
i. 'cdrecord -scanbus' gives:
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0)'PHILIPS' 'CDRW1610A' 'P1.4' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) ..........etc

j. 'emacs /etc/default/cdrecord'
CDR_DEVICE=philps
CDR_SPEED=8
CDR_FIFOSIZE=8m

at end:
CDRW1610A 0,0,0 8 8 "

Now do a quick and dirty test burn:
k. create image file of data using 'mkisofs' (eg 'data.img').
l. Burn a test CD using 'cdrecord dev=0,0,0, -v -data image.img

Now set up the device on your system:
m. Drive is now recognised as scsi so add symlink and modify /etc fstab:
EITHER
if this is your second CDROM drive:
cd /dev
ln -s scd0 cdrw
cd /
mkdir cdrw
cd /etc
emacs fstab
(add under cdrom line /dev/cdrw iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0 )
mount /dev/cdrw
cd cdrw
ls (to read your burned CD)

OR
if this is your only CDROM drive (you use it for apt-get etc)
cd /dev
mv cdrom cdrom.old
ln -s scd0 cdrom

n. Now install cdroast for a GUI interface.

Sorry this is rather sketchy, but it worked fine for me.

> I want to burn on cd-rw, and not close it, but
> continue to burn another time. Does anyone have som good pointers?
> Or mabye just tell me how:) This newbe needs help

If you want multi-session CDs you need the later version of cdroast - in the unstable/testing Debian archive.

- Chris.