Generating pkglist

Hello All.

I'm used to have a script that generate Packages so I can use apt-get with my favorites local directories of packages. Here's what it contains:

ls $1 > $1/list
dpkg-scanpackages $1 $1/list > $1/Packages
rm $1/list

Now some of you may be completely shocked by thinking I do it that way. I hope not to have created too much emotional problems for developers who may have worked 1000s of hours to build an elegant script that do this.

So my question is... is there a less dirty way of generating Packages that would be more friendly to apt? Because this method, of course, make dpkg-scanpackages return a warning message. Is there already a build-in tool that I could use?