Question about cdrdao.

If you ever tried to make a copy of a cd with cdrdao, you probably already know that your cd must be configured the SCSI way.

Well, I don't like my cd to be configured like a SCSI just to use cdrdao. Wouldn't anyone have a good idea to allow normal program to use my cd on /dev/hdb like it should be while being able to use cdrdao to read the cd in scsi mode when I need it.

I already tried to compile scsi as module and load ide-scsi when I need it but I can't seem to explain the kernel it should "convert" the cd back to IDE mode when I unload ide-scsi... is there something I missed here?

Thanks.
Richard