Re: 497 days uptime = 0 days uptime ?(uptime rolloveR)

Hall Stevenson said:

> Now, why does this happen, especially in Sun equipment ?? They
> use standard disk drives, don't they ?? It has something to do
> with the lubricant in the motor and/or ball bearings remaining
> "liquid" while the drive is spinning, but somehow solidifying
> very quickly as soon as it's allowed to stop and cool down. Is
> that correct ??

I would guess its heat. at the time the room this server was in
got quite warm at nights/weekends, the central AC would get shut
off, I had an APC Network Air 1000 to help but it wans't enough,
the room hovered at around 80 or so 6 hours after the A/C shut
off..

if the drive gets hot enough I imagine that the bearings wear
out faster.. as a result when I replaced this drive(with an
18GB IBM 5400rpm). I hooked it up with a massive disk cooler:
(a picture of the one I use is here:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/r_macase_ms10/)

my local vendor said the company that makes those coolers
was being sued for patent infringement(this was about a year
ago) so I don't know how easy it is to find them anymore.

in any case I think it may keep the drive cool enough to
not let the bearings get screwed up by the heat.. I try
to operate all of my disks so they are cool to the touch.
I would expect the chances of a sieze up is much much
reduced when the drive is run in an environment where
its really cool.

running my drives so they were cold(not just cool, but
cold) to the touch didn't save any of my IBM 75GXPs
though, they still croaked(but never siezed up)

nate