Re: dependency problem!!!

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:02:07AM -0000, vellore satyanarayanan somasundaram wrote:
| Hi Friends,
|
| I am using woody.

Ok.

| I used dselect to install php4(4.0.5-2).But it
| said it depends on apache-common(1.3.19-1) which is already

Uhh, those aren't the versions in woody.  (also note that that version
of apache has a security hole)

http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/apache.html
http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/php4.html

| "You have held broken packages"
| "php4: depends on apache-common.Try running apt-get -f install".

Indeed.  Apt doesn't like it when you don't satisfy dependencies (eg
by forcing the installation).

| When I try to do "apt-get -f install" it says it will remove php4.
| I am literally stuck up.
|
| In such type of situations what should I do?Please advice.

Try upgrading to the versions that are in woody.  (Did you by any
chance install woody before it was "stable"?  If so I recommend
upgrading anyways.)

HTH,
-D

--
Microsoft has argued that open source is bad for business, but you
have to ask, "Whose business? Theirs, or yours?"     --Tim O'Reilly

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/