Re: rh 7.3, wish deb was spinning on the platter

John H. Outlan CPA said:
> Gave up guys getting the GUI running/fully installed...have RedHat 7.3 up
> and running.  I wish like hell Debian had a graphical installer like rh
> for us Linux dummies...I'll keep my eye out.  I'm an CPA, not a computer
> professional ;>
>
> I don't mind the command line, but why fool with that method during
> install when you can tweak from GUI or have the option for a command line
> install in addition to the GUI?  Listen up Debbie and Ian.
>
> No need to respond..unsubbing.  Thanks for the help (none :)

what happens if the GUI doesn't work? what if the distribution
doesn't include the drivers needed to get it working?

I see that your unsubscribing, thats fine. I truely hope that
the future of computers does not force everyone into a GUI.
the command line is a very powerful and useful way to fix
problems. it is simple, because of which it does not require
a lot to "work". a GUI is a very complicated piece of software.

a recent run in with a commercial distro(Suse 8) i can cite an
example of bad GUI design:

I ran SuSE's YAST ONLINE UPDATE (YOU). Ran it as root, on a fresh
install not knowing at the time there was a bug preventing it
from running as root(as opposed to running it su'd to root).
it gave me a bunch of errors and I had to click on each one to
"OK" the error. After about 45 clicks I got sick of clicking
so I tried to click the ABORT button. No dice. I tried about
a dozen times but the "GUI" ignored my clicks. So i went to
the command line and issued a kill -TERM on the app. bye bye
app!

I spent the next 2 hours trying to get the app working again,
after I killed it, any attempts to start it would result in
the "YOU" application immediately exiting with a segfault
(I think, it may of been another error). I even tried reinstalling
the entire YAST subsystem overwritng all the files, no dice.
I removed the entire YAST system and reinstalled it manually
with RPMs. no dice. that YOU application (Yast online update)
was broken.

so, I reinstalled. It was a fresh install(only about 3 hours
old), but i was quite shocked on how fragile that application
was. I have sent apt-get the kill signal many times over the
past couple years for one reason or another, and it has
always recovered totally gracefully without the slightest
hiccup.

Oh, and I did try the ncurses based Yast Online update, and
it too crashed like the X based version.

GUIs are nice, but they should not be a substitute for a command
line.

Don't get me wrong though, i still like SuSE 8, enough to give
it to my sister and my mom. though i wish i could figure out
why Staroffice6 and Openoffice 1.0 crash in GNOME, if I load
them after gnome starts, they just exit after loading(the app
loads then it dissapears), if I load it before loading gnome,
it works fine. it works fine in windowmaker, and in kde3.
doesn't work in gnome!#@()# gotta grab the debug build of
openoffice and run it through gdb, the coredump i got was
pretty useless without symbols, sigh. damn GUIS!

nate