Re: OT: What do Deb-heads do for recreation

This one time, at band camp, Nori Heikkinen said:

> i could list one or two dozen people i know running linux for whom
> that's not true, but then on second thought they're all CS students,
> and will very likely end up fitting into that category within a matter
> of years -- all the people i've seen graduate who run linux (or unix
> flavors, for that matter) are now professional geeks in some capacity
> ... all in many different ways, but all definitely heavily involved in
> computers.
>
> i'm the only exception to this bunch that i can think of (correct me
> if i'm wrong, martin) -- i'm a CS minor (music major), but even if i
> had been planning to do something professionally geeky after college,
> problems with my wrists sustained from my full-time geek job this
> summer have shown me that physically, that's not such a good idea
> (especially if i want to keep playing viola).
>
> on the other hand, that's only accounting for people i know who run
> linux on their own computers.  more than a third of the current
> student body has accounts on our school's student-run server (which
> runs debian, i might add :).  that is not to say that they all do much
> with them, but i think most users know how to read mail, finger other
> users, and use talk.  and i think it's safe to say that the vast
> majority of them will not become computer professionals after
> graduation.
>
> i also know a handful of macOSX users who have done more than a little
> exploring into the unix sides of their systems.

I graduated with a degree in history, and I've been using linux for
about 2 years now.  One of my friends is a grad student in PoliSci, and
he introduced me to it.  I recently pushed my father into using linux,
as his computer got trashed by a very nasty little virus, and he's a
professor of Middle Eastern history.  In fact, I only know (personally)
one person using linux who has a job and a degree in the computer world.
A friend of mine who runs Mac, and just made the move to OSx, is
suddenly very interested in linux as well.  It looks like it's catching
on, at least in these parts (not too far from you, Nori, if I read your
address right - I'm in Philly)

All this being said, I'm getting tired of my current job
(firefighter/paramedic) and am looking for a job in the computer world.
No formal training, so I expect it to be an uphill struggle to get one
<sigh>.

Steve
--
A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
		-- William S. Burroughs