Re: Xfree86 and Knoppix

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:09:49AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 10:36:08PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
> > > So I decided to install  Xfree86.
> > >
> > > Big mistake.  Xfree86 blocks access to all commands,
> >
> > Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't get you back to an ordinary virtual console?
>
> I must be doing something wrong when I launch X, but whenever I do
> Ctrl-Alt-F1, it takes me to the console I logged in from, OK, but no
> prompt, just the most recent message from the X server.

If you didn't put the X Server start command in background, then
yeah, you won't be able to use that shell.

Try putting the server in background next time.

> Ctl-Alt-F2 gets
> me an open console to which I can login.

OK.

> But if you've installed xdm (as
> I suspect Brian means he's done) then every console presents the xdm login
> screen,

Excuse?  I don't get you . . . didn't you just say above that "Ctl-Alt-F2
gets me an open console"?

> because (at least as it installed on my box) S??xdm was in _every_
> rc?.d directory.

That controls whether or not XDM (or gdm or kdm) gets started up,
but does not control which virtual terminal the X server is running
on.

I assume that your X server is using VT7 . . . right?

Note that xdm and siblings are not the X server itself.

> RH behavior is better here, imo, because it makes
> runlevel 5 the xdm runlevel, so you can switch runlevels and escape
> xdm.

To escape xdm, simply:

/etc/init.d/xdm stop

> But this may just be me not understanding something basic!

Oh, that's just par for the course for anything having to do
with computers.

   "I yearn, I fight, then I learn . . . that I may do it
    all again on the morrow."

John S.