Re: Problems Printing at ECOMM-CAN

This one time, at band camp, Maya said:

<much snipping - running unstable on a test box>

> >> PROBLEMS in paradise ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ At this stage in the
> >> upgrade I have but one serious problem, for
> >some
> >> reason my EPSON Stylus COLOR 800 printer is spitting out garbage
> >when I
> >> try to print from any of the GNOME applications [AbiWord, Balsa,
> >> Galeon], with the exception of gnomepad+ and gEdit. I
> >> checked/tested
> >
> >> the printer before the upgrade though and it was OK. Note that
> >> TESTER_BOX has installed lpr and apsfilter to take care of the
> >printing
> >> spooling and printcap respectively. It would appear that the
> >> problem
> >
> >> resides in those applications that encode text, since it is only
> >those
> >> applications that are showing this problem. Someone suggested that
> >it
> >> was 'gnome-print' the source of the problem, I couldn't say that
> >that
> >> is for sure. NEdit, gnomepad, gEdit save data in text mode; these
> >data
> >> is printed correctly from the application itself or form the
> >> command
> >
> >> prompt.

> What other information would you need to make myself clearer?  I
> really need this problem solved; I have my boss breathing on my neck!
> TIA

I us CUPS, so I can't remeber the logs lpr generates off the top of my
head, but go through them, they may give you some answers.  Also, IIRC,
most of the gnome apps (and pretty much everything that isn't straight
text) prints by converting their output to postscript (or ghostscript)
and the sending it to the printer daemon.  If the logs don't show any
errors, but you're still getting garbage, it sounds like you may have
either an old ghostscript or a wonky printer .ppd that doesn't do a very
nice job converting the postscript.  You may also want to check that you
have both the GNOME1.4 and GNOME2 print libraries installed, if you
still have a mix of programs from both.
HTH,
Steve
--
The only possible interpretation of any research whatever in the `social
sciences' is: some do, some don't.