Re: Strange dd error

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 02:35, Chris Kenrick wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 02:30:13AM -0400, Scott Henson wrote:
> > As of late I have been getting a strange dd error when trying to write
> > stuff to my floppy drive.  The command is
> >
> > dd if=memtest86.bin of=/dev/fd0
> >
> > and I get an output of
> >
> > dd: writing to `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
> > 9+0 records in
> > 8+0 records out
> >
> > I try using it on normal files and it seems to work just fine.  I was
> > wondering if this was something going wrong with my hardware, kernel, or
> > dd.  It has been happening over several kernels(and I no longer have the
> > kernel that I last remember using this successfully on).  I am currently
> > running debian sid on 2.4.20-pre1-ac1.  Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>
> Dud floppy disk itself?  Maybe the drive could get dodgy with age,
> too...

Does this with multiple floppies.  Oh, it also encounters read errors
when trying to read off a floppy and write an image.

But I think it was the drive cause I pulled it out and replaced it with
an extra I had laying around.  Is there any way to test a floppy drive
and make sure it was the drive and not something else in the loop?

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."