Re: neighbour table overflow

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:11:00 +0100, john gennard wrote:

>I'm in the process of installing and configuring Woody. Boot
>messages give 'neighbour table overflow' on numerous occasions.
>I have not seen this before, could someone please explain what
>is meant, how it arises and whether I have a problem.

<snip>

>From Linux Gazette, issue 65:

	It means that your arp cache is overflowing because your machine
	can't tell who is on its own subnet... its neighbors. Which usually
	means your *localhost setup* is broken (because lots of applications
	use networking internal to your machine - which is always on its own
	subnet, so those packets should never even escape the computer) or,
	far less commonly, that your netmask for your own external address is
	wrong.

(emphasis added)

So, likely you need to go to /etc/network/interfaces and add:

  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback
--
gt       kk5st@swbell.net
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---