Re: apt-get "pinning"

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 01:58, Travis Crump wrote:
> Tom Hoover wrote:
> > I'm trying to use the new "pin" feature to track woody, but allow
> > installation of individual packages from sid.  My /etc/apt/preferences
> > files is as follows:
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=woody
> > Pin-Priority: 700
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=sid
> > Pin-Priority: 70
> >
> > "apt-get install xxx" & "apt-get -t sid install xxx" work as expected,
> > but "apt-get upgrade" tries to upgrade over 300 packages on my system to
> > sid.  I can remove all references to sid from my sources.list, perform
> > an "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade", and it works as expected.  Am I
> > misunderstanding the use of the pins?  Do they only work with "apt-get
> > install", and not "apt-get upgrade"?  Or, do I have something
> > misconfigured?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> I don't know why that doesn't work, but you could try using unstable for
> sid and stable for woody that's how I have mine
> setup[s/stable/testing/g] and it works for me.

If memory serves me, this is the problem.  For some reason apt pining
only works if you use stable, testing, or unstable.  It wont work if you
use the aliases for each distribution.  And even when you put this in
there, it will still want to upgrade a few packages for some reason.  In
my experience it is usually around 20 to 30 packages. Of course YMMV.  I
have since made the full leap to unstable but here is my
/etc/apt/preferences.old

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1010

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 500

I think the Pin-Priority on testing used to be up around 700, but I put
it up at 1010 to downgrade a package one time.  I also used
/etc/apt/apt.conf and here is that file

Apt::Default-Release "testing";

This kept me at testing for the longest time, until the woody freeze
stopped updates into testing and I moved to unstable for Xfree86 4.2.
I would personally use both apt.conf and preferences to make sure apt
knows exactly what you want.

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."