Re: CUPS: http://localhost:631/admin does not exist!

Lo, on Sunday, August 11, A R did write:

> tony@debian:~$ ps aux | grep cupsd
> root       284  0.0  0.9  4856  568 ?        S   19:03   0:00 /usr/sbin/cupsd
> tony      1581  0.0  0.7  1340  472 pts/0    S   20:42   0:00 grep cupsd
> tony@debian:~$

Actually, output like this is one place where one can, and in fact
should, safely ignore the 72-char-per-line limit.  (Oh, wait, you're
posting from a yahoo address; nothing you can do about it.  Never mind...)

> As shown above, I have my daemon running, however, when I try to
> install cups from mozilla, using http://localhost:631/admin it waits
> for a while trying to connect to connect to localhost, and then tells
> me it timed out. If I write file://localhost:631/admin tells me it
> can't find it, w/o admin it just opens my Desktop.  Any suggestions?

First, file://.... isn't going to work here; it tells your browser to
load and display the named file.  You'll need http://... to communicate
with the HTTP server that is part of CUPS, even though this server is
running on the same machine as the browser.  (Of course, CUPS may
respond to this request by simply turning right around, loading a file
off the local disk, and feeding it back over the HTTP connection.  In
this case, supplying the correct path to the file in a file://... url
would, in fact, work.  localhost:631/admin is not likely to be a valid
path on your system, though.)

Second, I've never actually used CUPS, but let's start by seeing if
anybody's actually listening on port 631.  As root, run
    lsof -i tcp:631
This will list all of the processes that have port 631 open, on either
the client or the server side.  If that doesn't turn anything up, then
your CUPS config is not what you expect it to be.

Richard