Apache and mod_perl, fastcgi, speedycgi

I am a little confused about what the differences are between mod_perl,
fastcgi and speedycgi.

I have just installed Apache and gotten it working with the basic debian
packages: apt-get install apache apache-common

So after looking in the LoadModules directives in the httpd.conf file I
noticed there was no fastcgi.

I thought I should have the fastcgi module so that I could speed up any
perl scripts I use for the site.  But now I am confused as to which is
best (most appropriate for my uses) and whether I need more.  There are
too many options :)

So can someone guide me here?  I plan on having some fairly basic cgi
scripts for dynamic content on my site.  I don't plan on hacking the
apache code or anything hard core like that.

So what is the best package to install?  And what LoadModule directives
do I need to put in the httpd.conf file to make it work.

For example, I originally had this:
<IfModule mod_perl.c>
  Alias /perl/ /www/perl/
  <Location /perl>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
    Options +ExecCGI
  </Location>
  <Directory /www/perl/>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
  </directory>
</IfModule>

But I am now thinking that fastcgi is what I need, because mod_perl
sounded as though it was for writing new apache modules or something
a bit beyond me at present.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Mark.