Module loading?

I'm new to modules.  I have a USB CompactFlash card reader that works
with the usb-storage module to present the card as a SCSI device
(/dev/sda1).  What I've been doing to read the card is:

    # insmod usb-storage
    # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flashcard

    (do whatever)

    # umount /mnt/flashcard
    # rmmod usb-storage

This works great, except I have to become root each time, and it seems
like the system ought to be able to handle this more automagically.

What I want to happen is: when I plug in the card reader, the
usb-storage module automatically gets loaded.  And when I unplug it,
the usb-storage module is automatically unloaded.

When the USB device is connected I see:

    Aug  9 14:22:32 foobar kernel: usb.c: USB device 6
    (vend/prod 0x7c4/0xb000) is not claimed by any active driver.

in my system logs.  But I can't figure out how to tell kmod that when
it sees this, it should load usb-storage.  Or, how can I make kmod
/ insmod / etc. load usb-storage before I try to mount /dev/sda1
(since I don't have any other SCSI devices).

I'm running a 2.4.18 kernel with CONFIG_MODULES=y,
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y, CONFIG_KMOD=y (and the relevant options that make
the card reader function).

Any hints?  Thanks,

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
IS Professional                   email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu