RE: Oracle on debian

> Here we are Oracle very very beginners. It will be our first Oracle
> installation, so considering that we will need support from Oracle,
> I'm afraid I'll have to install redhat. Sad.

Marco:

Oracle has a very active support community on the net. A Google search
will turn up a lot of resources.

There is at least one other Oracle expert on this list (who will post
info if he wishes).

You may want to consider a developer license to familiarize yourself
with the product. It's not free, but it's priced as a "loss
leader". It has all the features you'll need to develop a production
strength database (minus clustering and multiple connections).

You should be prepared to subscribe to Oracle Metalink based on your
developer license. It's not expensive considering the level of support
you'll obtain.

If you're going to spend > 6 months working on your app., consider
reducing your license costs by using a development license. If you're
developing a "major" site, you should cultivate a relationship with an
Oracle sales rep. Make sure they understand your business model and
site licensing requirements. It's annoyingly easy to dump a lot of
money on Oracle when you don't exercise your rights as a licensee to
negotiate the best possible license for your development and
deployment requirements.

--
Microsoft Free By 2003