Re: ssh and X display

On 9 Aug 2002, Tomasz Kosinski wrote:

> Until an "apt-get dist-upgrade" a few days ago, I have used ssh to log
> in to the computer while another user is running an xsession:
>
>         "ssh -l username localhost" in an xterm has always enabled one
>         user to log in to another users Xsession and use one of the
>         virtual terminal/desktop/workstations to run x apps (from the
>         command line) while the original user is running his x apps
>         (from menu).

That's not my understanding of what's going on.  There doesn't need to be
an X session running on the _remote_ machine. but there does need to be
one on the _local_ machine; then X apps called from the remote machine run
on the local display.

[...]

> After update, I can no longer run x apps when sshed into localhost. X
> forwarding is turned on, from sshd_config:
>
>         X11Forwarding yes

That configures the remote server. You also need to have

ForwardX11 yes

in your local /etc/ssh/ssh_config, which configures the local ssh
client.  Or run "ssh -X ...." locally.

Or at least that's how I understand it.

hth

Patrick