Several good suggestions Re: Help. My system cracked and used to spam

Hi Chris, Paul and Pierre

Chris suggests:
>Well, one option is to use a crossover cable between the two machines in
>question.  Another would be to reboot into single user mode, so things
>like exim won't get started.  Can't remember if you get networking on by
>default in single user mode, but /etc/init.d/networking start should do
>the trick if it isn't.

David >> I still need references to do some reading

Chris
>A good first step would be to use one of the online services that test
>whether you are an open relay.  Try googling on open relay test, or
>search the list archives, it's definitely come up before.  If you are an
>open relay, shut down exim and test again.  If that fixes it, then you
>know that you have an exim config problem, and you can go from there.

Paul suggests upgrading to Woody. Woody? On a 486/66? I would do
it, mostly for the experience of upgrading. However, I have a substantially
faster machine in hand to replace it. I will put Debian Sarge on that
machine
and keep it up to date.

He also suggests keeping the system security update current, but points out
that this only protects me from bugs, not configuration errors. He suggests
a firewall and not installing anything I don't need. What about
installing --
is it wrappers? to hide the ports I'm not using?

Pierre suggests a free intruder detection test.
http://www.pallix.ca/freesecuritytest.html
and offers further personal help towards finding the miscreants.

Thanks Paul, Pierre and Chris.

Continuing the saga:

A crossover cable won't help until the I disable the spam forwarding
because the machine is too slow to use with that running.  This could
be done by hacking scripts (OK only because I'm going to wipe and
reinstall, but better by booting into single user mode with networking
enabled.

Many thanks. I have some information and some pointers to more. This
is one of the many things that  make Debian the best.

David Teague
Debian -- because the technical support is free, fast, and accurate.
And I can get answers beyond the level of beginner.