Re: Help. My system cracked and used to spam

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply

It is a stock 2.0 install from CDs with Exim installed and
setup by the scripts. Nothing particular was done to prevent
entry.  What does "Properly locked down" mean?

I had some accounts there that may not have had decent
passwords, but they would have needed root access to
change the Exim setup, don't you suppose?

I don't know enough to find whether it could have been set up as
a relay.  I do need to understand the spam relay.

I want to stop the spam relay long enough to copy the data to another
machine (which will have Sarge installed).

I still need references to do some reading so I can understand
what I need to do to fix things.

I actually plan to wipe, but the machine is so slow with the spam relay
going on that I cannot do anything. I am replacing it with a much faster
 machine with significantly more RAM.

David Teague