Re: Advice on using 1394 or FireWire hard disks?

Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with recompiling the kernel.  Would anyone care to
comment on my understanding?

1. Download kernel source and kernel package (2.4.18)

2. Extract kernel source into a directory (I assume it doesn't really
matter which directory, although I'll probably do this is /usr/src).

3. Type make config, enable all the 1394 stuff as per:
http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/start_install.html
Out of curiosity, what's necessary to run make menuconfig? Not sure which
ncurses bits are needed.

4. Use make-kpkg kernel-image.

5. Move kernel to /boot?  and modify grub?

Thanks again!

Jen