Re: stand alone gnome

Ray a PowerWeb Tech said:
> how do i use startx (or something like it) to start gnome?
>
> system:
> on debian 3.0 (linux 2.4) (fairly fresh install... going on day 2 now)
>
> gnome (started by gdm) and kde (started by startx) just fine.  i have
> disabled gdm since i don't want the gui login.
> (by 'mv /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm /etc/rc2.d/no_s99gdm')
>
> according to the gnome.org faq and irc.debian.org/#debian
> i should make an executable ~/.xsession with the line 'exec
> /usr/bin/gnome-session'.
> it fails to run.
> without .xsession, kde works fine.
>
> using 'update-alternatives --config x-session-manager' switched the
> default  to gnome, and it fails to start with the error 'Server is
> already active for  display 0'
>
> killall X -> no processes to be killed
> rm /tmp/.X0-lock -> no file
>

> --
> The days just prior to marriage are like a snappy introduction to a
> tedious book.

Don't really know if this will solve your problem for you, but run this
command as your normal user, and try startx again:
ln -s ~/.xsession ~/.xinitrc

I can't remember off the top of my head which of those files debian uses,
but as long as you link 'em together you should be fine...good luck!
Rob Hensley
<hensleyrob@nku.edu>