Re: exim configuration problem. why is it doing this?

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:39:30PM -0400, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 05:17:19PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:

> > > I think the standard installation sets up cron job to run evey 15
> > > minutes. Check /etc/cron.d
> > >
> > Yes. It does. But why? Exim seems to send outgoing mail
> > immediately. So how can there be a queue of mail?
>
> When you send a message from your mail program, it would call exim to
> deliver the email. If there is no connection to your ISP at that time,
> exim would place the email in the queue for later delivery.

Maybe it is in the mail queue for a few seconds, but lights flash on
the modem with 2 s of my pressing 'y' in mutt, a connection is made
and, I suppose, my mail is delivered. It is this fact that there is a
connection made each time I finish an email which makes me wonder
about why the use of cron.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com