Re: dpkg cache server

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 14:39, Jens Peter Secher wrote:
> Jeff Davis <jdavis@empires.org> writes:
>
> > I run several debian machines, and when I need to get packages I try not to
> > redownload packages I already have.
>
> If you are using apt-get to fetch packages, you can install the
> caching proxy wwwoffle (World Wide Web Offline Explorer) on one
> machine (preferably your firewall) and set http_proxy and ftp_proxy to
> http://your.firewall.org:8080 .  Then apt-get (more precisely wget)
> will request files through wwwoffle, which then caches the packages.
>
> Indeed, if you use PPP, wwwoffle will record your requests and
>  download things the next time the connection is up.  wwwoffle is a
>  great thing in my opion.
> --
>                                                     Jens Peter Secher

Hi Jeff,

I only have the above snippet (joined the list very recently), so
apologies to the list if this has been said before...

An alternative would be to set up an ftp server on one of your machines
and then use apt-move to move downloaded packages into it. You can then
use this as the first line in your sources.list for all the machines on
your network and they will download from your local copy in preference
to remote servers.

Jim