Re: xserver-xfree86 : mouse not working

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 08:04:13AM -0500, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "ramans" == ramans  <ramans@iitg.ernet.in> writes:
>
>     ramans> Hi all!!  I had installed debian testing. I was surprised
>     ramans> to see the abnormal behaviour of the mouse. The mouse was
>     ramans> active for the first time gdm was run. But it was out of
>     ramans> control. In order to make the things working, I tried
>     ramans> reconfiguring xserver-xfree86 but doing so proved to be
>     ramans> just oppposite of what I expected, now the mouse pointer
>     ramans> was not visible.  I had connected it /dev/psaux port with
>     ramans> mouse type as PS/2.
>
> Does the mouse work in console mode? With gpm? If it does, try
> shutting off gpm before trying it in X. You could simply be having gpm
> and X be fighting over the mouse. Of course, I don't run testing
> anymore, so perhaps I'm not even close. But gpm/X installation errors
> are usually what do this.

If your gpm is running, use /dev/gpmdata for your X-mouse.

Here is mine:

gpm:
===

Current configuration: -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -Rms3
Device: /dev/psaux
Type: ps2
Repeat_Type: ms3

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
=======================

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IntelliMouse"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Regards.
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
      do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they
      carry out their wicked schemes."
                            Psalms 37:7