Import Records into Mysql from MS Excel

Hi all,

I have about 500 contact type records I want to out into mysql and then
write a php interface to.

But I can't get the data in.  I wonder if people on this list have don
this and can suggest how to proceed.

Procedure I am following:

1. Export work-sheet from Excel to csv file called data.csv
2. Check that each record occupies one row only.
3. Import into mysql using command " load data infile "/opt/data/data.csv"
into table people (first_name, last_name, dob, home_address, work_address,
home_phone, work_phone, mobile_phone, email1, grouping, notes,
organisation, title); "
4. Output of "select first_name from people;" is along thelines of "
David,Sutherland,,,,0860 183 5" by 500

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to match up entries correctly?

Thanks!

Patrick