ssh -X doesn't set DISPLAY

Sorry to trouble you yet again :)

I have two recently-woodied machines on my LAN (hubbed to a LinkSys
device).  I can ssh from 'watson' to 'sherlock'.  (Just as an aside, my
vmware-Win98 vm is 'moriarty'!  And my third machine, the most powerful of
the bunch, is, of course, 'mycroft'.)  But when I 'ssh -X' from watson, no
DISPLAY is set on sherlock, and so 'xclock &' run, just to test, in a
sherlock terminal opened from watson returns

Error: Can't open display:

I'll bet I'm missing something obvious again.  I _don't_ have ForwardX11
set to 'yes', but I thought '-X' was supposed to override that?

I checked the list archive, remembering a recent exchange about this, but
I _do_ have xbase-clients installed on the remote machine, so that's not
the problem, unless perhaps there's a misconfiguration?

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman
pwiseman@mindspring.com