local domains always resolved through dialup interface

Hello,

I've recently downloaded Woody, after previously having used slackware,
redhat and many versions of SuSE. So, I'm not really new to the linux scene,
but apparently I don't know enough to solve this problem I have on my own.

Here's the situation:

I have one ethernet card, set up with a local address of 192.168.0.1, which
is connected to about a few other computers. All the ip numbers, 192.168.0.x,
with their aliases are listed in the /etc/hosts file of all the computers,
and /etc/host.conf contains `order hosts,bind'. The interface, eth0, has as a
route with destination 192.168.0.0 and mask 255.255.255.0 (so that I may add
more computers later on).
Also, I have an ISDN card which is set up as ippp0 with autodial option. This
interface is configured as point-to-point from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.2, the latter
being the destination of the route that has been set up for the interface, with
a mask set to 255.255.255.255. Also, this interface has also been set up as
the default.
My /etc/resolv.conf contains two lines with my ISP's nameservers. Locally,
I'm not running any name serving daemons, like named or nscd.

The expected behaviour, IMHO, would be that if I would try to look up a host
name, like localhost or arjuna (which is an alias for 192.168.0.1, found in
/etc/hosts), that this would be resolved locally, by looking in /etc/hosts.
When I would try to resolve a name like www.google.com, then I would be
connected to my ISP's nameservers which would do the lookup. This is how
it works for me on another machine running SuSE.

So, I try:
ping 192.168.0.1
ping arjuna
ping localhost
ping www.google.com
ping www.debian.org

All goes exactly as expected; the first three are handled without my dialout
link going up, while the last two initiate a dialout. However, doing the
same with, say, telnet:
telnet 192.168.0.1
telnet arjuna
telnet localhost
telnet www.google.com 80
telnet www.debian.org 80,
only the first succeeds without my dialout link going up. The other four all
initiate a dialout, trying to connect to the first nameserver of my ISP,
specified in /etc/resolv.conf.

So, I thought that maybe this was because of a reverse lookup, due to IP spoof
protection, so I made sure this was off:
echo "0" /proc/sys/net/... for all interfaces listed, or changing the file
/etc/network/options so that spoofing is off. Also, I checked the existance of
any environment variables that influence the behaviour of resolv+, but none
were set, so only options specified in /etc/resolv.conf should be used. And
this file clearly states:

order hosts,bind

Still, any name lookup will trigger a dialout (telnet, lynx, ftp, ssh, ...),
except for ping. I am at a loss. I have no idea why this happens. I've never
had this problem in any of the other distro's I used, so I thought that maybe
it has to do with some option I am unaware of that defaults to something else
in Debian than in the other distros? So please tell me, what am I overlooking?

Thank you,
Sumant

--
Sumant S. R. Oemrawsingh