Re: sudo and shell builtins

scripsit Osamu Aoki:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 03:41:05PM -0700, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> > scripsit martin f krafft:
> > > also sprach Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com> [2002.08.03.0023
> > > +0200]:
> > >
> > > When sudo finished, permissions will be dropped. what good is a shell
> > > that might have `pwd` set to a non-permitted resource, but not be able
> > > to do anything with it since it's administratively prohibited?
> >
> > I can do 'sudo ls', 'sudo tail _file_', etc.
>
> How about sudo sh -c 'cd /root/hidden'

Neat idea, but when that shell exits, the PWD is back to where you
started.  The effect is the same as

$ su
$ cd /root/hidden
$ exit

I can do this, however:

sudo sh -c 'cd /root/hidden && ls'

which gives me a listing of the directory and then exits.  That looks to
be the only workaround.  This all seems like a lot of effort to go
through just to avoid doing su . . .

Thanks for the ideas, Osamu.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatul�k, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatul�k agh burzum-ishi krimpatul