Re: should . be followed by doublespace?

Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> General concensus seems to use 2 spaces when using a monospaced font and 1
> when using a proportional font.

One remaining problem is that email is just ASCII codes with no
indication of what font should be used. Since MS Outhouse defaults to
using a proportional font even for non-HTML mail, I'm not sure that one
could still reasonably argue that "most" people view mail with a
monospaced font. I suppose Outhouse users are a minority around here,
though. Most X-based mail clients that I've seen default to "fixed",
though there's nothing stopping you from changing it to "helvetica" if
you want.

Another interesting point of reference is the standard behavior of HTML
rendering (which isn't directly related to email except for users of
Outhouse and similarly brain-damaged clients that generate HTML mail by
default, but it is, at least, a form of text rendering that is very
common and that most of us probably see every day). Unless you go out of
your way to add non-breaking-space entities, HTML will always
consolidate multiple whitespace characters into a single space (well,
except in <pre> or <code> blocks, of course). I've never heard of any
HTML renderer that tried to add extra space between sentences,
regardless of the font being used.

Craig