Re: apt-get foolishness

On 01/08/02 Ron Johnson did speaketh:

> You asked this same question yesterday afternoon, and was responded
> to on the list (which is where you asked the question).  Go
> look in the archives for the response.

    right you are, although for some reason I didn't see it appear in my
debian box. I'll cut and paste from the archive...

> Have you checked "apt-cache show" to follow dependencies?
> apt-get isn't doing this at random...
> What is your ultimate goal?  Remove Gnome 1.4 from the system?
> My guess is that since _many_ packages are dependent on libgnome*
> in one way or another, you many have to start out by pruning off
> the "top level" packages before reaching down to the foundational
> libraries.

    This doesn't answer the question of why it is upgrading. I suspect that
the problem is that new versions of these packages exist. I'd be willing to
bet that if I upgrade, and then remove, I will get the behaviour that I
expected. I have done this in the past, and using "apt-get remove" on a base
library is a wonderful way to extract entire applications by removing
everything that depends on a given library. I think apt is just trying to be
smart here, but additionally upgrading the packages affected because a new
version is available, but this is not appropriate here since I'm doing a
remove. I consider this a bug, unless someone can explain why you would want
to remove, and then upgrade the very packages that you ordered removed.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix