Re: alternative motd and logo?

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 05:15:51PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2002-08-01T20:57:29Z, Paul E Condon <pecondon@quiknet.com> writes:
>
> > Linux is a version of UNIX
>
> That's not correct.  Linux was written to be similar to a Unix system, but
> is *not* a Unix system.  Source?  The first sentence at
> http://www.linux.org/ .

A follow up, more thoughtful ( 75 s vs. 7.5 s ) view of this
authority. First sentence is:

"Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of..."

But, really, Linux is a *kernel*, not an *operating system*. Had I not
expressed an opinion, and had that opinion not been challenged with
this quatation as authoritative evidence, I would surely not have
objected to the sloppiness of these words. I would have *known* what
they would have said had they been better trained in high school and
I would have left it at that.

So where does this leave the GNU, Linux, GNU/Linux issue?

paul

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com