Re: mail-config?

Am Donnerstag, 1. August 2002 21:54 schrieb if.frijns@wanadoo.nl:

> What should I install to get mail to work?
> I have a small network:
> -1 debian gateway
> -2 debian boxes
> -4 Win98 PC (sorry, the kids are teached at school with word, excel etc.)

Why does everbody apologise for using Windows? :)

> What I want is that the gateway collects the mail from the ISP every time
> the dial-in connection gets up and every PC collect its mail from the
> gateway (running iptables) when they question the gateway for it. The
> gateway is NOT running as a DNS-server and uses NAT.
>
> What software needs to be installed on each machine?
> exim or postfix on the gateway?

Yes, of course any mail transport agent (MTA) will do. I think postfix is a
little bit easier to configure but you have more power with exim. And you can
use fetchmail to pick up the mails from your ISP. It sends it via SMTP to
your MTA so it's independant of which one you're using.
And you need a POP3 op IMAP deamon on the gateway to let the clients get
their mails. I prefer courier-imap but there are several others (see also
'apt-cache search pop3' or 'apt-cache search imap').

> 1 debianbox runs kde, is this sufficient for collecting and sending mail?

You're talking about a client, right? If yes - of course, you can use kmail
or any other graphical mail user agent to read and write emails. But it
depends on the machine if kde should be your choice for the graphical
environment. If it's a slow one, i'd recommend to use a more simple
environment / window manager.

> 1 debian box runs only bash/csh. What do I put here.

How about mutt?

> What should be configured/changed on the WinPC's.

As long as you're not using a DNS server, you have to set the IP address of
your gateway to use it for sending mails (SMTP), receiving mails (POP3 or
IMAP). Email addresses are username@192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP is).

Short: no extra software is needed on client side.

Good Luck!
Christian