Re: automatic security updates

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 12:43, John Hasler wrote:
> Christian Schoenebeck writes:
> > I thought a script that reacts on mails containing security advisories
> > and triggering a security update would be the solution.
>
> What does that do that a cript pointing apt at the security archive and
> doing 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' doesn't?

Well, he wants something automatic.  (btw, the semi-colon between
your 2 apt-get commands is a bit scary.  Better to make the upgrade
dependent on the update via "&&".)

Slightly OT: since "apt-get upgrade" does not download packages
that have new package dependencies, would it be better to do:
"apt-get update && apt-get -d -u dist-upgrade" instead?  (I use "-d"
in automatic downloads because I want to watch and answer the
configuration questions in "apt-get -u dist-upgrade" my self...)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |