Re: fernando: Mail delivery error

Richard Kimber wrote:

> OK I accept that I don't understand how these things work, but would this
> happen if the list server was configured so that, by default, we replied
> to the list and not to the originating individual, and if the server
> filtered out these messages so that they weren't sent on to members of the
> list?
>
> I've always thought it odd that many mailing lists are configured so that
> when you hit the reply button your reply goes to the individual and not
> the list.  The idea of a mailing list is to share information among a
> group, so the logical default ought to be reply to the list, I should have
> thought. Some people even get upset if they receive messages by accident
> that should have gone to the list.
>
> - 2, no doubt very ill-informed, cents.  :)

This is a very old flamewar^Wtopic around here. Some people prefer the
default the way it is, some would prefer a "Reply-To:" header directing
replies to the list. You can't please everyone.

One argument for the way things are is that, given a reasonable email
client (and if you don't have a reasonable one, switch!), you can choose
to reply either to the sender (by telling your client to "reply"), or to
the list (by choosing "reply to list", "reply to all", or whatever your
client calls it). A "Reply-To: debian-user@lists.debian.org" header
would wreck that.

Craig