Re: fernando: Mail delivery error

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:26:38 -0700
Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:

> ben wrote:
>
> > is anyone else getting this, below, on any post to debian-user?

> Problem is, I don't think the list server is seeing these bounces;
> they're being sent directly to the original sender of each message. The
> list server, therefore, has no idea that there is a problem.

OK I accept that I don't understand how these things work, but would this
happen if the list server was configured so that, by default, we replied
to the list and not to the originating individual, and if the server
filtered out these messages so that they weren't sent on to members of the
list?

I've always thought it odd that many mailing lists are configured so that
when you hit the reply button your reply goes to the individual and not
the list.  The idea of a mailing list is to share information among a
group, so the logical default ought to be reply to the list, I should have
thought. Some people even get upset if they receive messages by accident
that should have gone to the list.

- 2, no doubt very ill-informed, cents.  :)

- Richard