Re: Repartitioning

Craig Dickson wrote:

> Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
>
> > Beware of symbolic links...
>
> Ah, good point. cp would actually change all symlinks (and hard links)
> into separate copies, wouldn't it. So perhaps archiving to tar files
> would be better. tar understands both symlinks and hard links, right?

Answered my own question by creating a file, a hard link to the file,
and a symlink to the file, then putting them in a tarball. Listing the
contents of the tarball showed one file, one hardlink to the file, and
one symlink to the file. So I deleted the originals and extracted from
the tarball. Hard and symlink restored correctly. Nice!

So I guess the plan will be to create three tarballs on the second HD:
one for /usr, one for /home, and one for everything else in the root
partition. Then mess with cfdisk and mke2fs, then unpack the tarballs
into the new partitions, edit /etc/fstab, run lilo, and reboot.

Craig