Re: Repartitioning

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 06:58:48AM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Okay, so my new 80 GB HD is installed and seems happy. Now I'd like to
> make some changes to my original 20 GB hard disk. Originally, I left
> /home and /usr in the root partition, and I'd like to split them out.
> What's the easiest way to split an existing root partition into three
> without ruining everything?

Rule #1: Make backups. At least at file-level. If possible also at
         disk-block level.
Rule #2: Verify the backups
Rule #3: Always obey rule 1 and 2.

> The plan I have at the moment is like this:
>
> 1.  Boot from rescue diskette.
> 2.  Mount first HD's root partition and a partition of equal or greater
>     size on the second HD.
> 3.  Copy all files from root partition to second HD.

Beware of symbolic links...

> 4.  Unmount root partition.
> 5.  Run cfdisk, destroy root partition, recreate new one along with
>     separate partitions for /home and /usr in the space of the original
>     root partition.
> 6.  Create new filesystems in new partitions (mke2fs -j).
> 7.  Mount new filesystems, copy files back from second HD.
> 8.  Edit /etc/fstab to match the new reality.
> 9.  Run lilo (/boot is a separate partition already, which won't change,
>     but this seems like a good idea and harmless at worst).
> 10. Reboot!
>
> Does this sound good? Is there an easier way to split an existing root
> partition? I have gparted, but have never used it, and I'm guessing that
> in this situation it won't be useful (except perhaps as a substitute for
> cfdisk in step 5) because of the need to move existing files from the
> current root partition into the new ones.

[Note: I never tried gparted]

You may want to look into ext2resize, it claims to be able to resize a
filesystem (but you still have to resize the underlying partition
afterwards).

> Any comments?

Dont forget to obey rule #3.

Another way to do this could be to
- make a backup of /etc and /var
- save the output from "dpkg --get-selections"
- do a complete reinstall on the new root partition
- restore /etc (I'm not sure about /var...)
- make sure you install the same packages as you had before:
    dpkg --set-selections  < yourfile && apt-get dselect-upgrade

The above list is probably not complete, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Bottom line: Use whatever method you are comfortable with.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com