Re: Increasing the number of loop devices

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 12:22:14PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> I want to mount more than 8 CD's on loop devices but there are only 8
> available.  Is there a way to increase it?
>
> I have looked at losetup, but am not sure whether it will do the job.

As others have mentioned, you can increase the number of loop devices
via a kernel compilation.

But if you are unlikely to use more than 8 *at the same time*, then
autofs may help you. I use it to automagically mount my CD images on
request, by installing autofs and putting things like this in
/etc/auto.cd:

    somecd     -fstype=iso9660,loop    :/home/cdimages/somecd.iso

and
    /cds        /etc/auto.cd
in /etc/auto.master.

The beautiful thing here is that they will get unmounted when they're
not used, thus decreasing the number of loop devices you will need.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com