Re: Root login in graphical enviroment

hi,

Vassilis Grigoriadis wrote on Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 11:41:30AM +0300:
vg> Hi, i am new to linux. I installed(let's say so) the latest woody edition of debian and when it starts i can't log in as root in the graphical enviroment.
vg> Can anyone tell me what can i do to permit the root to login?

like the wise dilbert saying... 'It Depends' :-)

You can look into /etc/pam.d/<your graphical login manager>

where 'your graphical login manager' is a file corresponding to your
graphical login manager (which could be one of
gdm/kdm/xdm/login.app/whatever)

root login is disallowed by not listing your login terminal in
/etc/securetty. This will be considered by pam when you have a line
like:

auth       requisite  pam_securetty.so

Comment it out/remove it.

  -Suraj

--
| Great deeds are achieved by rare skills, of                          |