Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

I use mutt for email and galeon for web browsing.
When I get an email that contains an attachment
containing html, I can open the attachment in
galeon by entering command 'v'.

But when I do this I get the following message
prior to the opening of galeon:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

I also get the same message when running dselect.
It happens during install, just after the data fetch,
and before unpacking the newly downloaded packages.

What is going on? It doesn't seem to be dangerous,
but I would like to correct whatever I'm being warned
about. Only I don't know what to do.

I am an English speaking US resident. I try to use C as
my locale. This doesn't appear to be a complaint
about my locale settings, but about a library I'm
using. So far as I know, all my libraries came from
downloading Debian woody packages.

I'm willing to RTFM, but which manual?

Thanks.

--