Re: exim configuration

* Richard Kimber (rkimber@ntlworld.com) [020730 07:31]:
> When exim was configured on my 3.0 system (now testing) I chose the
> satellite option because I wanted my mail sending to my ISP's mail system.
> I didn't realise at the time that this also includes mail sent to local
> accounts - so these to to my ISP and back again.  That's not what I want.
>
> How do I configure exim so that mail to the outside world goes to my ISP,
> while local mail is delivered directly?

This shouldn't be the case. If exim is configured properly, local mail
should just get delivered locally. Check your local_domains setting; it
controls what domains exim will deliver locally for.

How does it work right now? The mail goes through your ISP and comes
back to your exim again and then exim delivers it locally? That's odd.
The only way I can imagine that happening is if your qualify_recipient
(or qualify_domain if the former is unset) is something that is not in
local_domains, but gets rewritten on the way out to something that is,
or some other such convolution.

Or do you mean your mail gets delivered to a mailbox on your ISP's
server and you use POP or IMAP to get it back?

Exim can be made to do what you want it to do, but it may take a bit
more knowledge about your current config to get there.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/