Re: dvorak keyboard

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:58:11AM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> 1. i can get it working in console mode fine (`loadkeys dvorak` does
>    the trick), but can't seem to make it work with X.  do i need a
>    different command / keymap / &c.?

i have gkb_applet switch it automatically.  i just use whatever
default name it has for the alternate keymap, and tell it to run
'gkb_xmmap dvorak' instead.

> 2. does anyone out there use it?  was it hard to switch?  can you now
>    type both layouts?  was it worth it to switch?  how long did it
>    take to retrain?

i use it everywhere.  i switched a couple years ago.  it took me about
a week to be able to mostly touch-type again, and about a month to get
fast again.  i can switch back to qwerty if necessary, but it does
take alot of concentration, so it is very distracting.

--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |