Re: Floppy time...

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 12:43:24PM -0500, Flood, Richard wrote:
> I am in the process of installing Debian on a laptop using only floppy
> disks.  I went ahead and installed the base system with floppies and then
> realized that these floppy images expected me to have a CD-ROM or something
> to install from dpkg.  Any guidance on where I can find the other floppy
> images for the distribution?  I realize I will probably have to buy
> floppies, but I can't really buy a CD-ROM for this laptop at this time.
>
> I downloaded some .deb files to my Win98 desktop thinking I might be able to
> rawrite them onto floppies and at least get gcc and make on the laptop, but
> I cannot read them into the Linux system from floppy.

It's been a while since I've had to deal with this so consider this just
general info and you'll have to fill in some gaps:

Once you have the floppy portion of the install done you should have enough
of a system installed to get network access going.  You may then be able to
install the rest from a cd on the desktop system or maybe install over the
internet.  An alternative would be to temporarly install the hard drive from
the laptop into the desktop (using a 3.5" -> 2.5" ide adapter) and copy what
you need directly onto the laptop hard drive.  You'll want to do this AFTER
you have the drive partitioned and (if you like) after the floppy portion of
the install is done.

--
Ray