RE: iptables

get the sourcecode. decompress is into /usr/src. Create a link named linux
to the newly created kernel directory. This way you can have different
sources and work on one. Or you can choose by not creating the link.
cd to the kernel source directory and read README. All the details about
configuring and building r there.