Re: ssh'ing into DB3.0 for restart?

also sprach Johannes Graumann <graumann@its.caltech.edu> [2002.07.29.0214 +0200]:
> I followed this up and behold: if I say on host01 'ssh -2 -c 3des -l root
> host02 echo $PATH', I get the PATH of host01 - really weired. Well,
> following some intuition I tryed 'ssh -2 -c3des -l root host02
> /sbin/reboot' and that works!
>
> I'm puzzeled - can somebody please explain to me why this happens?

$PATH gets evaluated in the local shell, so you are asking to remote
system to echo that. Escape the $ and it'll work:

  ssh -2 -c 3des -l root host02 echo \$PATH

Now you are telling the local shell to treat $ as $ and not as
a variable indicator. The remote system, however, will see $ as the
start of a variable and expand it accordingly.

"vulgarity is simply the conduct of other people."
                                                        -- oscar wilde