Re: formail and procmail question

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 11:45:56PM +0100, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:27:19 +0100 Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
> wrote:
> > The Debian Policy Manual states that "the interface to send a mail
> > message is /usr/sbin/sendmail", so you are guaranteed to be safe here.
>
> Good to know sendmail has friends in high places :)
>
> Just curious, does it mean that a user can type "sendmail -oi -t" and
> have Exim (or Postfix, or whatever non-sendmail MTA is installed) do
> the expected thing?

Options to sendmail aren't defined, although MTAs that provide a
sendmail symlink do tend to provide many of the more common ones (in
order to be useful at all).

> Which also must mean that a Debian machine running Exim must have a
> sendmail symlink pointing to a wrapper script that will translate
> sendmail options into those of Exim's. And the same for Postfix and the
> others.

Exim actually looks at the name under which it was invoked and behaves
accordingly. I think upstream authors of MTAs tend to be aware that
compatibility with sendmail is a good thing.