Re: formail and procmail question

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 11:19:59PM +0100, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:48:27 -0600 bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) wrote:
> > You should not have to set SENDMAIL.  When procmail was compiled and
> > installed it should have a good setting for this variable by default.
>
> Yes, but Debian is notoriously pro-Exim, and I don't know beforehand
> what the procmail package maintainer decided to put in the variable.
> This way, I make sure sendmail will be the called MTA.

The Debian Policy Manual states that "the interface to send a mail
message is /usr/sbin/sendmail", so you are guaranteed to be safe here.
(At least, if you aren't then you're entitled to file a very annoyed bug
report.)

Quite a lot of fairly high-profile developers use postfix rather than
exim, so I'd be surprised if most such bugs hadn't been shaken out by
now.

Cheers,