Re: last resort nvidia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Turner" <artic_knight@yahoo.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 8:01 PM
Subject: last resort nvidia

> well i found that i was supposed to have my kernel headers so instead of
> 2.4.18 i got the 2.4.18-bf2.4 version, and i looked for the kernel source
> but alas, all i could find was 2.4.18, is it compatible? if it is then im
> not sure whats wrong, the blasted thing gives me that error and nvidia
> claims thats the error when i compile against the wrong source. iv sucked
> dry all the docs i know of or could find, any help? i tried that trick
> that was posted earlyer that lets ya do it without kernel source, said it
> was missing a file called by nv.o

Hi!

The sources and headers of all 2.4.18 kernel flavours are the same: the
2.4.18 kernel-source package. Only the configuration is different.

I don't know exactly about these problems, as I usually compile the kernel
myself and have working sources lying around on my HDD, so the nvidia module
doesn't complain. But maybe the following suggestions will do (folks,
correct me if I'm wrong...)...

Maybe, before compiling the nvidia sources, the kernel sources have to be
configured as needed for the installed kernel-image. Or you have forgotten
to unpack the kernel sources and put a symlink on them. The steps you'll
have to take are:

1.) The following packages should be installed: libncurses4-dev or
libncurses-dev or libncurses5-dev; kernel-source-2.4.18, binutils, bin86,
make , a gcc package (gcc, gcc-2.95, g++, g++-2.95) and all packages
these ones depend on. (dunno if I'm missing anything here; if the
compilation scripts complain about a missing file, you can search for
the appropriate package at http://packages.debian.org (use the search
form at the bottom).

2.) Now, go (that means cd, most the work is done on a console!!!) to
/usr/src/ . There you'll find a file named
kernel-source-2.x.y.tar.bz2 or (...).gz Now, uncompress this package,
by tar xzf <filename>.gz or by tar xjf <filename>.bz2 ; this depends
on how your sources are compressed. With older tar programs, you must
use xIf (where I is a capital "i") instead of xjf. The kernel-sources
are now uncompressed; you'll find a new directory under /usr/src with
the kernel insinde; now create a symbolic link named linux in
/usr/src, which points onto the kernel directory to do this, do the
following:

cd /usr/src
ln -s <name of the kernel dir> linux

3.) Copy the file /boot/config-2.4.18-<foo> (where foo is the name of the
flavour, e.g. bf2.4) to /usr/src/linux/.config, for example

cp /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 /usr/src/linux/.config

4.) Go to /usr/src/linux and make menuconfig (i.e. type "make menuconfig"
<enter>)

5.) Leave the menuconfig program again immediately and agree to "save your
new kernel configuration?"

6.) make dep

7.) make bzImage

8.) make modules

9.) Try to compile your nvidia modules again.

If that doesn't help, please just send me a mail about what's going wrong.

Cheers,

Stephan Hachinger