Re: Newbie Question- debian & secuirty cameras

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Johan Ehnberg wrote:

> tripolar wrote:
> > I am a new to Debian ( just installed 3.0 on my toshiba laptop last night - sweet success)
> > Forgive my questions if they are off topic.
> > My Brother has a gas station/store with security cameras. He would like me to set it up so he can view video from store from a pc at home.
> > I have some ideas though I would appreciate any advice, ideas & tips. I do have an ulterior motive- By setting this up on a Linux Box and
> > showing him what we can do with Linux I hope to convert him to Linux from the M$ OS.
> > Thanks ahead of time
> > Suleyman
> >

> This should be totally possible. I have been involved in a similar
> project. I see the key points as:

i prefer that the video pic stream is NOT being recorded or at least in a
self contained loop...overwritting itself daily or something to minimize
wasted disk space

- the images can be saved/sent via email to the house  if the
  triggers have be set-off
	- record and email the pic if the front door is opened
	- record and email the pic if the cash register is opend
	- record and email the pic if somebody pull up into the garage
	  to get gass etc
	- ....
	- ( just motion sensors ... X10 style or radio-shack style )

- get a camera with x-y positioning on its mounts so that the
  camera angle can be changed from the remote html page is somebody
  is baby sitting the camera images from home/security-office
	- you can get "zoom" camera controls tooo but little more
	expensive

- you can also get multiple-input camera pc-cards too...

c ya
alvin