Re: Newbie Question- debian & secuirty cameras

On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 11:59, tripolar wrote:
> I am a new to Debian ( just installed 3.0 on my toshiba laptop
> last night - sweet success)
> Forgive my questions if they are off topic.
> My Brother has a gas station/store with security cameras. He
> would like me to set it up so he can view video from store from
> a pc at home.
> I have some ideas though I would appreciate any advice, ideas &
> tips. I do have an ulterior motive- By setting this up on a Linux
> Box and showing him what we can do with Linux I hope to convert
> him to Linux from the M$ OS.
> Thanks ahead of time

What kind of cameras are they?  "Plain old" CCTV?  No matter
whether you view it via Windows or Linux, how will the images
be transmitted from the store to your house?  Those, I think,
are the 1st questions to answer.

http://www.stardot-tech.com/
http://www.axis.com/products/camera_servers/productguide.htm#video

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |